[Gllug] OSS CMSs

Dani Pardo dani at enplater.com
Thu Apr 28 08:53:32 UTC 2005

Nix wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, Tethys uttered the following:
>
> Yes: and that's why I use Perl so much these days --- because although
> the language is sucky *as a lanuage*, CPAN is a glorious thing. I find I
> rarely have to write any low-level code when I'm scripting something,
> because it's all already on CPAN :)

   I'm using Perl for several years now. I know little Perl, but I think
the point is about using the right language at the right place. You can
write clean code in Perl (I do). And you don't have to use Schwartzian
transform and all those ugly maps() almost never. I prefer to penalize
performance against clean code.
   BTW: As my CGIs and web applications are growing in complexity, I've
reached a point that I realized I'm not using the right language for
such a big applications. So I'm moving to Java (ouch!) and I know I'll
miss Perl for what it is good at: getting the job done before you get
fired :)

---
Dani Pardo, dani at enplater.com
Enplater S.A