[Gllug] OSS CMSs

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Apr 28 08:02:21 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 08:53:32AM +0000, Dani Pardo wrote:
>   BTW: As my CGIs and web applications are growing in complexity, I've
> reached a point that I realized I'm not using the right language for
> such a big applications. So I'm moving to Java (ouch!) and I know I'll
> miss Perl for what it is good at: getting the job done before you get
> fired :)

Interesting that you have chosen a language which is demonstrably
sub-optimal for developing almost anything, let alone large and
complicated applications.  Was there some reason you chose Java?

You can write large applications in Perl or other dynamic languages,
but you need to be very disciplined and have a lot of tests in place.
At a former company we wrote Perl apps which IIRC approached 500K
lines (equivalent, therefore, to a considerably larger Java program).

These days I'm using OCaml, a very advanced functional language, which
has excellent support and libs for writing web applications.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk