[Gllug] It doesn't fit - cock-up on the motherboard format vector

Liam Smit liam.smit at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 16:31:44 UTC 2005

Hi

> The new board duly arrived yesterday, only for me to discover that the existing one was not an ATX but some sort of cut-down ATX (Midi-ATX?) so the new board won't fit.  Silly boy.

As long as it is atx - full, mini or whatever it should fit, unless
you have a really cheap case. What you might have to do is move the
normally brass stand-offs to acocomodate the new board.

> Can anyone recommend a better-than-average case and PSU?

I've installed an Aopen PSU recently am happy with it, before that i
had a Sparkle for a couple of years and was very happy (sold it). Both
quiet and stable voltages on the various rails.

> I have a number of IDE HDDs sitting about which I could use, but is it  worth going to Serial-ATA since the board can handle four of these?  Are they significantly faster?  Again, quiet is good.

Any brand spanking new hard drive is going to be better than the old
one. What about a Raptor from WD? Might not be the quietest though.
ALthough if you wan tto knwo there is a storage-review website which
is good.

> BTW, what's the difference between socket 754 and socket 939?  Athlon 64s seem to come in both types.  Why?

Performance wise a few % points to the 939, overclocking ability then
754 is better. I don't think s754 will be EOL'ed but you might only be
able to get Sempron for it eventually.

Got to run, cheers

Liam
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk