[Gllug] It doesn't fit - cock-up on the motherboard format vector

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sat Apr 9 11:57:34 UTC 2005

I mentioned on this list that I was proposing to upgrade my existing
power workstation (Duron-800) with a new motherboard and an Athlon 64.

The new board duly arrived yesterday, only for me to discover that the
existing one was not an ATX but some sort of cut-down ATX (Midi-ATX?) so
the new board won't fit.  Silly boy.

Anyway, plan B is now to build myself a new decent spec computer, rather
than re-furbishing the old one.  I need a new case and PSU and I'm
tempted to try a new Serial-ATA HDD.  Everything else I have sitting
about.  Two questions.

Can anyone recommend a better-than-average case and PSU?  Quality of
build, quietness, good appearance and ease of assembly are more
important than price.

I have a number of IDE HDDs sitting about which I could use, but is it
worth going to Serial-ATA since the board can handle four of these?  Are
they significantly faster?  Again, quiet is good.

BTW, what's the difference between socket 754 and socket 939?  Athlon
64s seem to come in both types.  Why?

TIA,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk