[Gllug] Still interpreting output from "sensors"

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Apr 24 12:19:57 UTC 2005

Thank you for the advice to date on getting lm-sensors configured.  It's
almost all there now, but I'm still not sure about two of the readings -
the temperatures.

By default, lm-sensors labels them "M/B temp" and "CPU temp" and once
the machine is warmed up they both hover at about 31 degrees C.  As soon
as I start, for instance, a kernel compilation the one labelled "M/B
temp" leaps up to about 38 degrees C, and then over the next few minutes
climbs slowly to 40.  As soon as the build finishes, it drops back to
31.  What I'm wondering is what the sensor is actually measuring?  The
temperature of what?  What would heat up that quickly when the machine
is working hard?  The leap from 31 to 38 takes less than a second.

TIA,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk