[Gllug] Routing question

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Apr 13 14:35:19 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 03:51:29PM +0100, Steve wrote:

> I think the 'problem' is called ARP flux.
>
> As for how to control it, I understand there are various ways,
> dependent on your kernel and the degree to which you want to suppress
> arp responses.  You can, for example, suppress all arp responses on an
> interface-by-interface basis.
>
> See the immensely useful:  http://linux-ip.net/html/ether-arp.html

That is informative about the problem but out of date wrt the available
fixes.  The arp_filter and arp_announce/ignore patches both provide a
solution but check your kernel to see if they are available (if so, they
should be documented in the ip-syscl.txt file in the kernel docs).
arp_ignore is imho better.  Depending on the level you set it to on
network hosts, you may also need to set arp_announce.

--
Bruce

If the universe were simple enough to be understood, we would be too
simple to understand it.