[Gllug] Debian Matching Machines

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 7 08:37:03 UTC 2005

On Wed 06 Apr, John Winters wrote:

> As a new user of Debian, I never managed to work out how to drive
> dselect.  I just tried it again now and I still can't fathom it.  Its UI
> is arcane in the extreme.  Far, far easier to use apt-get and friends
> than solve dselect.
>
> John

   The main problem I find is that the numerical keypad + and - keys do not
always do as expected because the number-lock may be on or off, and I need
to use the main keyboard keys instead. You have the choice of using apt as
the back-end, you can easily modify the apt sources list, there is a helpful
message displayed which explains how to move to the next help page or
continue to make selections, the ? (HELP!) key works, the / (search) key
works, the \ (next match) key works, you can use the up, down, page up, page
down, home, and end keys to move around. Conflicts, suggested inclusions,
and dependencies are reported, just press return when you are happy with
your selection, why do you have a problem?

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk