[Gllug] Switched and loving it

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Aug 9 08:59:22 UTC 2005

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 09:34:03AM +0100, Gerard van Schip wrote:
[...]

When you want to start a new thread, make a new posting, don't
just reply to a random posting on the list.

> Just wanted to say that I now have an IBM Thinkpad X24 with Ubuntu on it
> and loving it. One of the things I did notice is that mp3 playback does
> not come from the install cd, I read that this is due to licensing issues?
> Anyone got more info on this?

MP3 format is covered by illegally-issued software patents which in
theory require licensing fees to be paid to Thomson SA, a French
company.  Since you're getting the software at no cost, obviously it's
not possible for the distributor to pay licensing fees, and so to
avoid legal trouble these formats aren't supported out of the box.

For ubuntu you'll need to go here: http://ubuntuguide.org/ to find out
how to play many proprietary formats (mp3, Java, Flash, Windows codecs
of all sorts, QuickTime, etc.)

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.