[Gllug] Switched and loving it

Richard Cohen vmlinuz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 08:48:38 UTC 2005

The problem with mp3 is that the algorithm is covered by patents, and
while in some cases there is reason to believe the patents are
licensed freely for non-commercial decoders (i.e. playback), it's not
a clear issue, and people get easily scared by potential legal
problems.  You can almost certainly add an unofficial source of
packages which will restore normality.

For what it's worth, we decided at Sun that we were non-commercial
enough, or possibly just unimportant enough, that we didn't worry
about it and kept right on shipping mp3 and mpeg video playback :-)

Cheers
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk