[Gllug] connection to wireless network

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Tue Aug 16 13:22:06 UTC 2005

I can connect to a neighbour's wireless broadband
connection by using a USB Belkin Adapter under W2000,
but have given up trying to configure it to work in
Debian Sarge.

At one of the Computer Fairs in the Tottenham Court
Road on Saturday, I saw a PCI wireless card for the
first time (just never been interested before).
As it had an antenna attached, and as I understand one
can use an extension lead between the antenna and the
card, could I use this to access the network signal?
An extension would be required as there is no line of
sight and steelwork in the building construction means
I can get a good signal only in the kitchen (about nine
feet away through a wall).

Would this work? If so, what are the limits for an
extension cable, and above all which of the cards available
is easy to configure in Debian? Finally, is there anything
else I should know or be wary of?

Grateful for any assistance.

Regards,					John.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk