[Gllug] Upgrading from RH 9

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Aug 31 10:26:24 UTC 2005

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 10:58:01AM +0100, Mick Farmer wrote:
> Dear GLLUGers,
>
> I'm considering the upgrade from RH 9 to RH Enterprise, but
> have read it isn't an upgrade, it's a new install.

Yes: I find it much easier to reinstall than to attempt to upgrade
(even if RH Enterprise 4 will attempt an upgrade anyway).
I did this 6 months ago, a few things broke, needed to be recompiled, ...
I assume that you have kept careful note of all your customisations
and so you can redo them.
My /home is a separate partition, I did not touch that.

> Has anyone had problems with this?  Is it time to ditch RH
> and go for Fedora?

No. By the sound of it the machine is something important that you
want to have a long life, in that case Fedora is not for you, it will
drop out of maintainance in a year or so. RH Enterprise (or Centos)
will be maintained (security fixes/...) for several years -- that is what
you want.

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.