Re [Gllug] connection to wireless network

Richard Cohen vmlinuz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 08:35:35 UTC 2005

On 18/08/05, john gennard <joney at clara.co.uk> wrote:
> Liam Smit wrote, inter alia:-
>
>  >So lug the computer to the kitchen and find out how many dB you >would
>  >receive before signal loss due to cable and then subtract 3dB and if
>  >that is fine then it should work. You can of course boost the signal
>  >sent to card with a higher gain antenna but that costs more money.
>  >cheers                Liam
>
> and
>
> Nick Richards said:-
>  >you don't get any signal loss in the cable since it's just standard
>  >ethernet passed through to your machine. It's a handy solution. Nick
>
> Many thanks to all who have offered so much advice. If, I
> understand the possible disadvantages, I wonder if I could
> build a simple box (I've more than enough items left over
> from upgrades), attach a PCI card and put it in the kitchen
> at the point of maximum signal, then use an ethernet cable
> to go through the wall to the main box?
>
> Can it be as simple as this?
>
> John.

Honestly, rather than a PC, I'd get either an ethernet-attached 802.11
'client' device, or a simple linksys or similar box which can be
repurposed to pretty much whatever you want with something like
openwrt - not quite sure what they go for in the UK, but around here
I'd expect to pick one up for well under 40 quid... Smaller, quieter,
far more energy-efficient, simpler... and a better hack :-)

Cheers
Richard, very happy with an Asus OpenWRT box here in Hong Kong
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk