Re [Gllug] connection to wireless network

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Thu Aug 18 08:23:26 UTC 2005

Liam Smit wrote, inter alia:-

 >So lug the computer to the kitchen and find out how many dB you >would
 >receive before signal loss due to cable and then subtract 3dB and if
 >that is fine then it should work. You can of course boost the signal
 >sent to card with a higher gain antenna but that costs more money.
 >cheers		Liam

and

Nick Richards said:-
 >you don't get any signal loss in the cable since it's just standard
 >ethernet passed through to your machine. It's a handy solution. Nick

Many thanks to all who have offered so much advice. If, I
understand the possible disadvantages, I wonder if I could
build a simple box (I've more than enough items left over
from upgrades), attach a PCI card and put it in the kitchen
at the point of maximum signal, then use an ethernet cable
to go through the wall to the main box?

Can it be as simple as this?

John.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk