[Gllug] MySQL on Debian error

Paul Cupis paul at cupis.co.uk
Mon Aug 15 18:55:17 UTC 2005

Martin Stevens wrote:
> I've just done an apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade on one of my
> server and now have the following error appearing.
>
> Any ideas on how to resolve ?

I had this problem recently (within the last few weeks). It seems that
the current version of MySQL didn't like a variable I had set in my.cnf
- I had been ignoring the new default configuration and not merging the
changes.

In my syslog I had:

   /usr/sbin/mysqld: unknown variable 'old_passwords=1'

amongst other things. Removing the offending line from /etc/mysql/my.cnf
and starting MySQL worked fine.

http://bugs.debian.org/320988
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk