[Gllug] apache2 child pid $PID exit signal Segmentation

Craig Millar gllug at craigmillar.org
Mon Aug 15 14:21:13 UTC 2005

I recently updated my home box (suse) using apt4rpm and subsequently apache
is misbehaving. Any attempts to contact the server through my browser results
in nothing happening and attempts from the command line end up like this:

me at craigmillar:~> telnet localhost 80
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.0

Connection closed by foreign host.

Despite upping the logging level to debug, the logs mention are very reticent
apart from the fact that the child process spawned by the request is seg
faulting:

[Mon Aug 15 14:29:22 2005] [notice] Apache/2.0.54 (Linux/SUSE) configured --
resuming normal operations
[Mon Aug 15 14:29:22 2005] [info] Server built: Jul 12 2005 22:15:53
[Mon Aug 15 14:29:22 2005] [debug] prefork.c(956): AcceptMutex: sysvsem
(default: sysvsem)
[Mon Aug 15 14:29:43 2005] [notice] child pid 10432 exit signal Segmentation
fault (11)

To cut a long story short, I've narrowed it down to the php5 module
apache2-mod_php5 - if i remove this and serve static html all works again.

Extensive googling reveals that this problem has cropped up before, and most
people try and pin the blame on a clash between php4 and php5. Prior to these
failures, i've has never had php4 installed on this box as it's a relatively
new install. Subsequent attempts to downgrade php to version 4 result in the
same results. I've grepped for and removed any reference to php4 in the
/etc/apache directory and modified the /etc/sysconfig/apache2 file (suse
specific of course!) to ensure that it is only loading the php5 module.

Another potential cause of this problem is not using the traditional prefork
model. I am using the apache2-prefork package which "warrants the maximum
stability because each server runs in its own process. If a process dies it
will not affect other servers" - according to the suse blurb. All very well,
but not much use if every single process pegs it!

As far as I am aware, this is not a packaging problem - i.e. the
apache2-mod_php5 package i installed is not known to me to be problematic.

Any help, advise, suggestions much appreciated - I am at wits end with this.

Rgds
Craig
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk