[Gllug] How to start a carrer in Linux Admin ?

Adam Bower adam at thebowery.co.uk
Mon Aug 15 12:58:17 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 01:35:53PM +0100, Martyn Drake wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 13:20, wendy carr wrote:
>
> > I have Solaris 10 and Fedora 4, windows 2003 Server on
> > my laptop with oracle 10g , but i cant put that in CV,
> > can i? I feel useless to try these things anymore.
>
> Yes you can.  You mention that you tinker with them in your own time as
> a hobby or something.  Nothing wrong with that at all.  I've mentioned
> in my own CV that I have a dedicated server running Linux and host sites
> for friends and family and also help set-uo the Anglian Linux User Group
> for which I hosted the web site and mailing lists for a while.

Indeed putting lug membership and experience gained at home on a CV is a
*very* good idea, I got my first good Linux/Unix job by having a "member
of Anglian Linux User Group" on my CV. I applied for a job that said
"graduates only, yadda yadda" even though I don't have a degree, the guy
who read my CV saw the Lug thing and figured that if someone was
interested in Linux enough to be in a Lug then they were certainly
worth interviewing.  On that basis they interviewed me and found that I
was a better candidate than the graduates they had interviewed and
offered me the job :)

Oh, and out of the 7 jobs in Linux/Unix I have had it is notable that
the 3 goods ones all came from directly contacting employers and hearing
of openings from friends. Three of the four really dire jobs I had came
from agencies.

Thanks
Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li