[Gllug] Re: is this a big problem?

Craig Millar gllug at craigmillar.org
Sun Aug 28 22:11:03 UTC 2005

On 26/08/05 17:58 +0100, Tethys wrote:
> ...and back in the real world, Linux is expensive to deploy

not always - for a small business, like the one that i work for, it's cost
nothing (apart from many enjoyable man hours for a paid enthusiast) - for
a relatively complex setup. the costs will come when they have to replace the
IT dept with people who haven't advanced from the run->cmd->ipconfig *skills*
under windows. it took us a couple of days to set up a samba domain using
varied sources and scripts, it's going to take more than your casual windows
sys-admin to maintain it and diagnose problems.

tco is something we've become very aware of if we have to replace our two main
staff, and our employers, used to being given the mantra of how for every
commerial offering there is a FREE and viable alternative, are going to reap
the whirlwhind when they realise they have to pay a proper computer person.
in a sense, we have created a monster using something that not everyone
will be able to readily administer.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk