[Gllug] Moving from CVS

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Fri Aug 5 16:12:35 UTC 2005

Sarah Ewen <sarah at thaum.net> writes:

>> Which leaves me with a problem: how to move a CVS repository and a
>> collection of working directories into a new VCS. Anyone done this?
>
> We moved from CVS -> Subversion without any problems, using subversion's
> repository conversion tool.
>
> IIRC the only repositories we had problems [we converted a bunch of
> users' repos. too] were ones that had ancient locks or problems that had
> never been cleared up, until we dealt with them at the time, and we got
> them all done pretty easily.
>
> going to subversion is pretty easy, if you want to.

I was rather fancying one of the bazaar/bazaar-ng/arch/tla type systems
- distributed repositories would make more sense.

I've looked a bit further, and there appear to be tla tools to import or
sync with CVS: in Debian, packages cscvs and tla-tools contain
respectively totla and tla-cvs-sync: I guess I'll *actually read the
docs*...

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml