[Gllug] connection to wireless network

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Tue Aug 16 19:20:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 02:29:50PM +0100, Wiehe, Simon wrote:
> I suppose the first thing to be wary of is this is not strictly legal,
> unless your neighbour has said it is OK for you to steal his bandwidth.
> Saying that, and this by no means justifies your actions, he/she should
> not be stupid enough to leave the connection totally open.
>
> My experience on wireless with Linux is there are no native device
> drivers for any PCI wireless cards.

Someone recently pointed me at an open source driver for the Atheros
chipsets for Linux (i.e. instead of the half-binary madwifi drivers). I
haven't had chance to try it out yet though.

If you're buying wireless kit for use with Linux, you really want to
know the chipset it uses (so you know if it will be supported).
Manufacturers selling a wireless card have been known to change the
chipset they use at random, without changing the model number of the
product, so you can't always say what chipset a Belkin WireCard 3N57A
will use (I made that model up).

http://www.solwise.ac.uk/ sell lots of wifi stuff, and sell the cards by
chipset, rather than by vendor+model. Exactly what you need.

Delivery is typically next day. I don't really see much point in buying
from shops in London or computer fairs these days, unless you really
really need within 24 hours. When the new kit involves recompiling
kernels and configuring all sorts of stuff, I don't mind waiting a day
or so for it to arrive :)

If you really do want it right now, you can always search ebay for
people selling computer kit in London (if you get to the advanced search
page, you can search by city and postcode) and arrange to collect it
from them.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk