[Gllug] is this a big problem?

Matthew Thompson matt.thompson at actuality.co.uk
Fri Aug 26 20:28:36 UTC 2005

On 26 Aug 2005, at 17:58, Tethys wrote:

> Yes, Debian and CentOS are fine choices for small businesses,
> particularly
> those with skilled in house Linux admins. But don't pretend they're
> viable
> alternatives to RHEL or SLES, because for the target market,
> they're not.

Agreed - in the real world we have SLES 9 running on an Opteron box
doing our backup with Veritas Netbackup. The Veritas vendor wouldn't
even install it if we didn't have an install listed as supported on
Veritas' list. Thankfully they re-released their list the week before
our install was due and added Opteron support.

Had we decided on Debian or CentOS we'd not have the backup running.

As it is we have a decent speed backup running in a fraction of the
time our old Windows based backup ran.

Just to prove that I'm not anti Linux :)

M at t :o)