[Gllug] Unattended backup solution

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Sat Aug 13 11:28:04 UTC 2005

In message
<20050812042909.da9cb266f0bff2ae8c497e171c3ffd24.1d5aed46cc.wbe at email.ema
il.secureserver.net>, Paul Kathro <Paul at Kathro.com> writes
>Hi again,
>
>I am looking to set up an unattended backup solution for the company I'm
>working for.  The drive to be backed up is a single 80GB internal drive.
>I'm looking at tape drives as they seem to be the way to go here.  Can
>anyone recommend a particular brand to go with or stay away from?
>Also, any other backup media I should be considering here?

How much of that 80Gb changes, and how often? If the data is mainly
static then there's no point in backing up all of it every time. You may
find that the changes to the data can be backed up over the Internet, in
which case tape is probably not the best option.

If it's only 80Gb then you should be using disk backup in addition to
tape anyway. Put a 250Gb disk in and keep multiple generations of
compressed archives. The commonest requirement is to restore a file that
someone accidentally deleted, that's far easier to do from disk.

Don't forget that you always need offsite backups in addition to
whatever you use onsite. Local disk backups are great but they won't
help if the site burns down or is unavailable because it's behind a
police cordon.

  --
Bernard Peek
London, UK. DBA, Manager, Trainer & Author.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk