[Gllug] Free Hardware

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Sat Aug 13 15:08:40 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 12:03 +0100, Tom Hannen wrote:
> If you don't succeed in getting rid of them here, try the "Freecycle
> London" yahoo group:

> It's a great system whereby you can offer or request items for free,

Agreed - the Oxford freecycle is going great guns. We've been shedding
19" cathode ray monitors as (due only to space reasons since we moved
house, swapping a big loft space for two smaller spare bedrooms we can
use as a study each, the kids are just gonna have to wait for the dosh
to get saved to do something with the huge loft for a playroom!).

One must dodge nimbly to avoid being crushed in the rush for the larger
monitors.

I'd hoped to recoup a bit of cash for them but decided the price
obtainable wasn't worth the hassle and trip-hazard of waiting for them
to go.

One downside is that the colour on the TFTs they've been replaced by
isn't as good... I'm tempted to stow a couple of CRT's in the loft for
potential what-if purposes if ever I or artistically inclined daughter
wants to do something which requires purer colour display.

And the best TFT I've seen (not the ones we could afford) isn't a patch
on the clarity of a good Mitsubishi Diamondtron (which I've always
preferred to Trinitron, having had a selection of both).
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk