[Gllug] 1 min load average

Minty mintywalker at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 22:50:33 UTC 2005

is there a (easy) way to get a 1 min load average, rather than the
5/10/15 min one returned by uptime?

preferably without kernel tweaking, such that I can get the 1 min avg
while uptime remains on 5/10/15 mins settings?

the context is:

I have one processing box, that is being sent jobs by a second "job issue" box .

The second box is polling the load average on the processing box, and
throttling off if the load average on the processing box goes above 2.

The problem with this is that I'm not getting good CPU usage on the
processing box...

The load average is below 2, we send a few jobs through, which sends
the load average up over 2, so we throttle off on new jobs.  But it
takes the 5 min load average a while to come back down below 2 again,
even when the cpu is idling.  Hence the CPU idle on the processing box
is looking like:

98,98,98,50,0,0,10,0,0,0,70,98,98,98,98,98....

debian stable

m.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk