[Gllug] 1 min load average

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Mon Aug 29 16:12:23 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 11:50:33PM +0100, Minty wrote:
> is there a (easy) way to get a 1 min load average, rather than the
> 5/10/15 min one returned by uptime?

Urm, according to the man page, uptime already returns the 1/5/15 minute
uptime - same on both my RHEL-3 & Debian Woody boxes.

> The load average is below 2, we send a few jobs through, which sends
> the load average up over 2, so we throttle off on new jobs.  But it
> takes the 5 min load average a while to come back down below 2 again,
> even when the cpu is idling.  Hence the CPU idle on the processing box
> is looking like:

How about adding in some delay before throttling off - ie, don't
throttle the moment it goes > 2. Wait for it to be > 2 for, say, 3
consequetive minutes. If it goes over, say, 4 during those 3 minutes,
then throttle off immediately.

Dan.