[Gllug] "Open source has its own problems" - article in Computing

Dave Cross dave at dave.org.uk
Thu Aug 4 15:23:05 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 03:50:18PM +0100, Rob Crowther wrote:

> Intellectual Property - he states that all work done when in full time
> employment, whether at work or at home on personal time, is property
> of the employer, the natural conclusion of this is that most OSS is
> actually stolen from people's employers.

I think that this is a reflection of the kinds of companies that he
has dealt with. An enlightened company will often specifically allow
developers to spend company time working on OOS projects or in some
cases might even release some of its own code as OSS.

As for work you do out of office hours, well I know that some companies
try to get people to sign contracts that give them copyright on that
code - but I don't know anyone who has been stupid enough to sign one.

Dave...

--
  If you miss an opportunity to see him perform... you're a total asshole.
  David Cross rocks my world.