[Gllug] 2.6 versus 2.4 stability

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Thu Aug 4 15:23:35 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 03:32:53PM +0100, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> The post I've just sent makes me wonder on the more general point (if
> it's just me or do others agree): is 2.4 more stable than 2.6?

Given the change in kernel development model, you'd probably need to
distinguish between upstream kernels 2.6.x, upstream 'maintence'
kernels (2.6.x.y) and the vendor kernels (2.6.x + patches). I think
its fair to say 2.4.x kernels are more stable than general 2.6.x
kernels - the general 2.6.x kernels are probably best described as
semi-stable, with the intention that vendors work off them to form
a really stable & tested platform. Now whether the vendor stablized
2.6.x kernels are more stable than 2.4 is an open question...

Dan.