[Gllug] Free 19" Iiyama monitor - "maybe" minor fault

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 11 23:40:26 UTC 2005

On Thu 11 Aug, Ian Northeast wrote:

> It's quite possible that it's a simple problem with the power switch or
> a relay. Someone competent in such things may well be able to repair it.

   It could be a surge control circuit or temperature dependent resistor
that is faulty.
   I purchased (another make of) monitor, complete with full workshop
manual, which worked perfectly for about 10 years before a vertical scan IC
failed. I soon found which IC had died and ordered another. This blew
instantly because a tiny electrolytic capacitor had dried out and failed to
protect the IC from high voltage kicks. I replaced the capacitor and ordered
another IC, which was not expensive but arrived about a year later. This
cured the fault, and the monitor worked perfectly for a month before another
unrelated fault blew a large hole in the PCB.
   Unfortunately realistic hourly rates, and the difficulties obtaining
spares, mean that most monitors are not worth the bother unless you have a
continuous supply of similar monitors and their spares, all the safety test
equipment including voltage measuring to 40 or 50 KV (which can easily be
reached with some fault conditions), and the workshop manual. Voltages in
excess of 25KV can generate large amounts of X-rays, so we were issued with
radiation detectors for a while, but they never registered anything
significant. If you get way over the design voltage you often see and hear
some interesting sparks, so it usually gets switched off fairly quickly.

--

Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk