[Gllug] OT: Merging UPS outputs

Chris Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Aug 21 11:11:51 UTC 2005

Alain Williams wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 11:39:10AM +0100, Chris Hunter wrote:
>
>>David Damerell wrote:

>>>Er, what would you suggest instead?
>>>

>>55 Volts either side of earth is quite reasonable (like site power
>>tools, and much of the Americas).  It's generally much safer, though
>>heavier current devices usually require higher supply voltages - it's
>>not uncommon for most domestic supplies to be 110V (55V either side of
>>earth) with an additional 230V supply for washing machines, air
>>conditioners and the like.
>

> Which means more complicated/expensive dual voltage supplies.
> In the UK machinery that is likely to (accidentally) expose a user to the
> supply (ie building sites) usually runs at 110V --- which is why you see
> the small yellow transformer boxes in such places.

They seem to manage well enough in the Americas - the power outlets are
different sizes, so you can't plug a 110V appliance into 230V.  The vast
majority of domestic electronic appliances are built for 110V globally -
there would actually be a small cost saving if the lower voltage
specification was used throughout the world.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk