[Gllug] OT: Merging UPS outputs

Peter Childs bluedragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Aug 21 11:34:49 UTC 2005

Chris Hunter wrote:

> Alain Williams wrote:

>>> 55 Volts either side of earth is quite reasonable (like site power
>>> tools, and much of the Americas).  It's generally much safer, though
>>> heavier current devices usually require higher supply voltages -
>>> it's not uncommon for most domestic supplies to be 110V (55V either
>>> side of earth) with an additional 230V supply for washing machines,
>>> air conditioners and the like.
>>

>> Which means more complicated/expensive dual voltage supplies.
>> In the UK machinery that is likely to (accidentally) expose a user to
>> the
>> supply (ie building sites) usually runs at 110V --- which is why you see
>> the small yellow transformer boxes in such places.
>

> They seem to manage well enough in the Americas - the power outlets
> are different sizes, so you can't plug a 110V appliance into 230V.
> The vast majority of domestic electronic appliances are built for 110V
> globally - there would actually be a small cost saving if the lower
> voltage specification was used throughout the world.
>
> Chris

    But think of the cost of converting and having two different supplies.
    240 is standard throughout most of Western Europe and change would
cause more problems, All I can't understand is why we have different
plugs in the UK and we can't have the same plugs and equipment
throughout the EU the quantity of equipment that you get with Euro Plugs
on is a pain.....

Peter Childs
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk