[Gllug] port forwarding and port translation

gilbert francourt gilbert.francourt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 17:35:30 UTC 2005

My names Gil. I'm new to Linux. I've joined because I'm getting more
interested in the 'nuts and bolts' of it all. At the moment I'm trying
to find a decent modem router as my cheapo one has died. I'm on the
verge of getting the NetGear DG834, but I was wondering if there were
better (inexpensive!) ones that anyone could suggest. I came across a
web page that said Netgear products don't do 'port translation', which
apparently would make running home servers awkward.

However, I've read the PDF manual on this model and it says that port
forwarding can be done. Is this the same as 'port translation'?

I want to attempt building a server some time, so it seems that the
Netgear is off the menu. Or is it?

Apologies if this has been answered elswehere in the forum.

Gil
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk