[Gllug] new member....

Robert Newson ran at bullet3.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Aug 3 22:45:16 UTC 2005

Rev Simon Rumble wrote:

> On 3/8/2005, "Tom Hannen" <tomhannen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Simon - I really don't need a fancy GUI, and I'd like to only use it
>>for checking email and web-browsing... It cost a grand total of £7.50
>>on ebay, so I"m not expecting miracles!  It would just be handy to
>>have around as an extra screen & keyboard with net access...
>
> You'll note I said "basic GUI".  If "email and web browsing" to you
> means text-mode email and browser, then you'll be just fine.  If you
> want _any_ GUI on that hardware, you're entering a world of pain.

Just to be perverse, I've got X running on my 486DX 66 with 36M of ram,
using twm on FreeBSD.  Never used it for web access - until now: just
checked and I've got NN4 running, but it seems to be browsing
fine(ish)...except for a "few" javascript errors...I'm sure there's a modern
lightweight browser out there I could put on it if I could be bothered (that
machine has other uses).

With 20M & 50Mhz it's gunna be a bit slower...but probably my main delay is
my i/net connection (dial-up 56k).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk