[Gllug] Tools to design a web site

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Mon Aug 22 22:50:45 UTC 2005

Peter Childs writes:

>    I'm looking to designa web site. (Borring I know) I want to know
>what tools people would use.

What tools do I use? Errr... an X server, rxvt, vi and a range of browsers
to test it with.

>    I sposes I'm looking for somthing in the leage of Dreamweaver, But
>thats windows only.

Unlikely. You may *think* you need something like Dreamweaver, but that
way lies madness (and shoddy web sites). If you really can't do it all
in vi[1], try Nvu. It's not perfect, but it spits out reasonable code,
and it's better than the alternatives I've seen.

Tet

[1] If you can't just use vi for your sites, then it's a fair sign that
    you're not sufficiently separating content from presentation, and you
    might want a rethink. What I think would be really handy, though, is
    some kind of GUI CSS editor, that took your HTML and styled it. But
    I'm not aware of any.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk