[Gllug] Unattended backup solution

Tony pthagonal at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 19:39:56 UTC 2005

On 8/12/05, Paul Kathro <Paul at kathro.com> wrote:

> Also, any other backup media I should be considering here?

Don't underestimate the value of a pile of ide drives in caddies, rsync, and
an old pc that you wouldn't deem fit for a desktop user anymore. Consider
the drives like you would tapes - rotate them in just the same way. Downside
is that you will probably need to power down the pc to change the caddy- ide
doesn't hotswap. Upsides are that once the drives are populated with data,
rsync is wonderfully efficient, so your backup run times are relatively
short- yet you have a full clean backup- not an incremental or a
differential. Recovering individual files can be very quick- no waiting to
spool the tape to the right place, and then hoping the tape hasn't just gone
defective since the last verify - of course drives can fail too, but somehow
I trust them more than tapes. Offsite backups/disaster recovery - you can
plug ide drives into pretty well any pc on the planet- won't need to go
quickly finding a supplier of tape drive that can read the right tapes. I
have even recovered a server by removing the failed drive, installing and
mounting the previous night's backup drive and then symlinking to the actual
backup folder of the failed drive - that was a very quick recovery of 200+GB
of data. First thing I did after that was run a new rsync job, so I had
another up-to-date backup.

There may be good reasons why this isn't for you- but at least have a think
about it.

Cheers,

Tony