[Gllug] is this a big problem?

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 25 21:58:28 UTC 2005

Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Mike Brodbelt skrev:
>
>>The old saw about sendmails config file format is really only trotted
>>out these days by people who never use it.
>

> The config file format is the main reason I don't use sendmail :)

I maintain that it's a poor reason for choosing (or not choosing) an
MTA, especially when you never have to directly edit the config file.

> Using sendmail is like pulling your own teeth out with a rusty hammer.
> THe most trivial mail setups are just about manageable.  Doing something
> actually complicated results in a bastard hybrid of an m4 script
> followed by lots of manual tweaks - utterly unmaintainable.

If you've got a reasonable m4 file, it usually takes all of about 5
seconds to regenerate the cf file for a new version. The rule engine
hasn't fundamentally changed in a long time, so if it takes you ages to
update your config file, its because you set it up wrong.

> If you disagree with this, then I'd _love_ to see the sendmail
> equivalent of my own email setup.  If anyone thinks their sendmail fu is
> up to the challenge, then let me know :)

Hmmmm. While I'm tempted, I'm a live and let live type of creature.
Sendmail works fine for me, and I don't feel the need to spend my
evening writing other people's config files to prove a point....

Mike.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk