[Gllug] OT: Merging UPS outputs

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sun Aug 21 11:44:24 UTC 2005

On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 12:34:49PM +0100, Peter Childs wrote:

>     But think of the cost of converting and having two different supplies.
>     240 is standard throughout most of Western Europe and change would
> cause more problems, All I can't understand is why we have different
> plugs in the UK and we can't have the same plugs and equipment
> throughout the EU the quantity of equipment that you get with Euro Plugs
> on is a pain.....

Quite, they ought to adopt the UK standard 3 pin plug.

That is not a chauvenistic comment, the UK plug is much safer than what you
find in continental Europe:

* It has an Earth -- many European items don't

* It is individually fused -- European circuits rely on a fuse for the whole
  circuit - this will be a much higher rating then the individual appliance
  fuse. One problem with UK fuses is that the come in different ratings
  (3, 5, 13 amp) but highstreet John/Jane just buy/install 13 amp fuses
  (so that it won't blow again). This means that they don't get the protection
  that they should. Many electrical items are also sold with the wrong rating
  fuse in them -- high street retailers don't care as long as they sell something.

The unification of plug standards has caused much debate. It is recognised
that the UK system is better; the cost of installing in the rest of Europe
means that it won't happen. Don't expect a change soon.

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>