[Gllug] Linux - big not small

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 5 00:20:13 UTC 2005

On Thu 04 Aug, John Hearns wrote:

> I know this will sound petty of me (considering my job!)
> also stress that I am not  having a pop at new members (hello)
> but...
> what is the thing with running Linux on old hardware?

   I do not feel particularly limited using the available hadware at home as
I (try to) learn more about Debian using old hardware. However I do realise
how much faster I could type using the latest 64-bit processor, and how much
more efficient it would be if I used the expected time saved to earn money
to pay for recycling the existing kit, obtain the replacement boxes, and pay
the taxman. I can have bigger fans and more efficient cooling systems, with
a much more powerful PSU, and run lots of ornamental packages so as to not
waste CPU time, or take it to the extreme and run M$.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk