[Gllug] Linux - big not small

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Thu Aug 4 13:24:38 UTC 2005

On 4/8/2005, "John Hearns" <john.hearns at streamline-computing.com> wrote:

>Again, stressing that I'm not having a pop, is the meme
>"Linux is run on old throw-away hardware" actually doing the community
>damage?

Not at all!

The important thing to stress is this:
You can learn to run Linux on spare, crappy, free hardware.

You can then use those skills to run Linux on everything from tiny
systems[1] through embedded devices[2] all the way up to the largest
supercomputers[3]!

[1] http://wwwhsse.fh-hagenberg.at/Studierende/hse02006/uclgba/
[2] http://familiar.handhelds.org/
[3] http://www.top500.org/

It's also worth pointing out that you will have a much easier time of
getting Linux (or, indeed, other OSes) running on post-PCI Pentium or
higher hardware.  You probably won't learn as much, though...
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk