[Gllug] Linux - big not small

Liam Smit liam.smit at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 18:15:44 UTC 2005

On 04/08/05, John Southern <john at sinoda.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 14:15 +0100, John Hearns wrote:
> > Stressing that I'm not having a pop, is the meme
>
> On Thursday 04 August 2005 14:24, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> > You can then use those skills to run Linux on everything from tiny
> > systems[1] through embedded devices[2] all the way up to the largest
> > supercomputers[3]!
>
> Is this true?
> Big pieces of metal must have something different, even if it is a limit on
> swap space.
> Although, most can be learnt on anything, what are the things that are
> different, that being unable to buy a personal s390 I am not going to
> discover?
>
> Actually, what is the limit with swap?
> When memory was smaller say 32 or 64MB, the documentation always said swap
> should be twice the RAM. As Ram increases into the Gigabyte realms, is there
> a limit for swap?
> Is there a reason for twice, why not x2.1 or x1.9 etc?

Depends on what you're running on your machine. If you need more
memory than you have physical memory then you need virtual memory. How
much just depends on how much you need, less how much you have.

I've heard that you should not go less than 1x your physical memory in
case you need to dump it to disk.

cheers
Liam
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk