[Gllug] new member....

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Aug 8 10:39:18 UTC 2005

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005, Ms. Lene Jensen suggested tentatively:
> On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 19:06, alberto wrote:
>> Well in fvwm you need to be carefull of how you configure it.
>>
>> If you put all the visual stuff that fvwm has you may strugle with the 486.
>>
>> If you leave it to a minimum you should be ok.
>
> I beg to differ (assuming you mean fvwm2 as opposed to fvwm).  My all

fvwm2 the binary is obsolete; it's called fvwm now. Also, fvwm-2.x is
ten years old now, and I think we can assume that fvwm refers to it;
only the very oldest of fogies are still using fvwm-1.x ;)

> time favourite wm is without a doubt fvwm2.  I remember upgrading from
> fvwm, thinking "bummer," but since we were upgrading, I had to too.  I
> spent three days to set it up.  But once I had the look I wanted, ahhh,
> sit back an relax!

Snap. A real bugger it was, too, as I'd got an X-capable machine and set
up my fvwm-1.x config only three months before :/

It has changed since then, but my .fvwm is still recognisably descended
from that in those ancient days. I only use about 5% of fvwm's features,
and, to be honest, I don't miss the rest --- but other wms (with the
notable exception of Sawfish) still can't replace it. Generally they're
just not configurable enough to replicate the look I've got used to
(e.g. both Metacity *and* kdewm...) or the keybindings wired into my
motor cortex.

> and 10 graphical terminals and we were running fvwm95 on them.  It was
> so funny, one teenager came up, saw the screen (it looked just like
> windows95) and told his friends "Ahh, this is Windows 95, I know this!"

Shades of Jurassic Park...

> I still prefer fvwm2 on my laptop, to my sysadmins shagrin.  It makes my
> laptop run soooo much faster on low memory.

Why does your sysadmin care? (You *are* on 2.5.12, I hope, so you have
EWMH and working session-management support. GNOME and KDE sort of work
without it, but only sort of.)

--
`Tor employs several thousand editors who they keep in dank
 subterranean editing facilities not unlike Moria' -- James Nicoll
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk