[Gllug] FTP downloaded SUSE 9.3 to hdd - won't install over nfs..

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Mon Aug 8 11:03:22 UTC 2005

Over the weekend I downloaded suse 9.3 of the ftp.gwdg.de mirror (pretty
quick, maintained 189 kbps over a 2m adsl. Anyway seemed quick to me
after years on a 512m basic service...

Unfortunately this won't install over nfs for an upgrade. I don't get
the yast option "what sort of upgrade" or "repair", and when it grinds
as far as the analysing systems page the software packages have no
option available.

Great, now I'm stranded with a cocked up system for the fileserver (had
some ram go bad and have had to replace that for known good sticks, and
thought it best to wipe the disk and start again due to fears of
corruption. The data was held on another physical disk and I'm going to
have to check that seperately...) and it's gonna make life difficult.
I'm downloading cd's now... in case so at least I can install that way.

But feeding CDs into 5 or 6 PCs is gonna be a pain (we're going to do an
upgrade round). NFS is sooo easy.

Anyone met this problem with a downloaded suse install with 9.3???

Will just dumping the CDs iteratively onto the hard disk of one of the
PCs enable me to run the multiple installation off nfs'ing, or does the
splitting up into CDs mess things up with regard to that into a
installation directory?

With 9.2 simply dumping the DVD to disk did the trick, but that was a
single media item.

My wife (who is working from home) is gonna beat me up with a pickaxe
handle if I don't get this sorted by the end of lunchtime <cringe>
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk