[Gllug] How to start a carrer in Linux Admin ?

wendy carr wendy_carr2003 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 15 08:43:10 UTC 2005

Hello There,

First I must apologize if this is out of topic in this
forum. On the other hand I appreciate your comments
and suggestions very much on this issue since it would
help me to understand ideology behind Linux
recruitment.

I am really fed up with trying to be a Linux / Unix
systems admin. I am pretty confident i am good with
Linux skills (all configuration stuff + even hardware
such as SCSI cards and RAID). But when i look at jobs
on the web and even with Recruitment agencies i find
everyone looking for experience in 3rd party
software/HW such as
Verits backup, Vx file systems, SAN, etc..

Also usually you require having 3-5 years of multiple
os's such as Solaris9/10, RH ES/AS, SUSE and HP. These
os are not even available in public domain. Its
chicken and egg problem, you got to know those fancy
stuff but you got have a job that gives you the
experience.

My understanding is (i might be wrong of course) if
you have a good understanding in basic operating
system structure and commands line skills you should
be OK with specific OS's.

I have less than 3 years of commercial experience with
linux server administration (last 5 months being with
a web hosting company with Linux, apache, php, mysql,
ipchains, scripting) but not fancy stuff like Veritas,
SAN or enterprise servers. Also i am a graduate,
infact postgraduate. But i find really difficult to
gain entrance to a permanent starting Linux/Unix admin
job.

Please advise me of what’s the current status of the
Linux/Unix admin job market and why there is no space
for the starters like me. Also do you think
certifications will help?

Cheers

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk