[Gllug] Slurp an entire tape to file with dd

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 31 15:42:07 UTC 2005

Hello,

We're having a *lot* of fun trying to restore some backup tapes made
with Veritas 8.6. The rant potential is considerable...

I would like to transfer the entire 40GB of tape to a file, and so tried
this in Knoppix:

	dd if=/dev/nst0 of=/mnt/myusbdisk bs=128k

But dd will stop (without any error) and although repeating the command
will read another chunk of unpredictable length, I'm worried bits are
getting missed out and simply splicing the chunks together won't work.

Since dd doesn't report any I/O error I'm assuming its coming across
EOF.

Is there any way I can say "do your absolute damnedness to read 327680
blocks of 128k from this device"?

Thanks in advance,
TomSW

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk