[Gllug] Sun Sparcstation - is it any use...?

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Fri Aug 12 13:14:29 UTC 2005

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 11:37:49AM +0100, Adrian McMenamin wrote:

>>> Debian runs well on them, except that dselect can take minutes to
>>> startup. Slackware may also run.
>>
>> Slackware hasn't run on SPARC for a very long time.  There is a
>> splack!, which is based on Slackware 8.x but its pretty primitive.

Yep. I've just checked that, and Slackware say they support SPARC
machines in the FAQ but not in the download section.

>> For linux the two main contenders are Debian and Gentoo.  I've not
>> used Gentoo, but I have 4 SS5s, two of which run Debian beautifully.

I would have thought that having to recompile Gentoo on a SS5 would
make a good definition of infinity. Plus there is a little gem in
their Sparc install documentation:

"At least 512MBytes of RAM + swap is required for bootstrap and some
larger compiles."

>> However, if you really want to fly, netbsd on SS5s is absolutely superb.

To speedup SSL and SSH on Debian you can recompile OpenSSL for sun4m
(which is the CPU version used in the SS5) instead of the mathematically
challenged sun4c (SS1, SS2, IPC, IPX). See:
	http://osinvestor.com/sparc/slowssl.html

> There is a distro called Aurora that is written specifically for Suns -
> it is modelled on Red Hat/Fedora. Sadly for the sparc32s the best you'll
> get is Aurora 1  which is modelled on RH 7.3 though, in my experience is
> no where near as stable.
>
> (I couldn't get Debian to install at all - the distribution notes
> cryptically refer to the fact that the installer might not work on all
> SCSI card/CD combos but doesn't explain it any further).

I've never had a problem with Sun or IBM CDROM drives. You should make
sure that the SCSI ID is 6, and you could try adjusting the block size
from 2048 bytes to 512 bytes. For more info see:
	http://www.sunhelp.org/faq/suncdrom.html

> I had the thing as a mail server for about 6 months but it was so slow -
> took up to a minute to load a large IMAP index and seemed to crash every
> week - 10 days or so. But it only cost me a fiver.

IMAP is probably too much, as it requires a fair bit of disk, memory
and (sometimes) CPU usage. POP3 would be fine for a Sparcstation.

> The replacement - which cost me a whole £20 is much faster - but it
> crashes quite a bit too :( (it's an ia32 box)

Intel x86 machines can be made stable.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk