[Gllug] Skype unable to connect - not the usual network problems ...

Mon Aug 8 20:30:28 UTC 2005

I have been using Skype for a few weeks now and it has been working
quite well, but recently my system has hit a problem.

This Suse 9.2 machine is shared by two people, and so, has two user
accounts on it. Both of us use Skype, but Skype has stopped working on my
user login but it does work on the other log-in.  When using my log-in, if
I try to dial out I get the message that Skype is 'Connecting ...' but
never quite fullfils that promise. The application then will not close
nicely.  The 'Disconnect' button doesn't achieve anything and I have to
kill Skype manually.

This happens for all of the Skype accounts that I've tried. Conversely,
when I use the another log-in all works, for all Skype user accounts.  So,
I conclude, there must be some sort of corruption in my /home/colin
directory.

In passing I'll mention that I believe the problems started when I tried
to download a Voicemail message.

In an attempt to fix this problem I moved the /home/colin/.Skype directory
to ./.Skype.bak and restarted Skype so it could create a new .Skype
directory. Unfortunately this hasn't helped.

Are there any other files that might have an effect on the way Skype works?

Where else should I be looking to get more information to help diagnose
the problem? What log files might help?

--
Colin Murphy - Colin at SpudULike.me.uk
aka spudulike1964 on Skype