[Gllug] Skype unable to connect - not the usual network problems ...

Chris Ball chris at void.printf.net
Mon Aug 8 23:23:26 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 09:30:28PM +0100, Colin Murphy wrote:
> When using my log-in, if I try to dial out I get the message that Skype
> is 'Connecting ...' but never quite fullfils that promise. The application
> then will not close nicely.  The 'Disconnect' button doesn't achieve
> anything and I have to kill Skype manually.

I've seen this before.  The point you mention, where "Connecting.."
appears, is where Skype first tries to open /dev/dsp for the sound
card.  My soundcard was being managed by a mixer (esd), and Skype
would perpetually hang waiting for the access to it that it would
never get while esd was running.

I don't use esd anymore.  You might try `killall esd` before running
Skype to determine whether this is your problem too.  There are other
mixers; "arts", for example.  Peter Grandi's idea of running strace to
find out whether it is an open(2) call on /dev/dsp that's hanging is a
good one.

> Where else should I be looking to get more information to help diagnose
> the problem? What log files might help?

The Skype forums helped me track down my problem to /dev/dsp.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <chris at void.printf.net>
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk