[Gllug] "Open source has its own problems" - article in Computing

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Thu Aug 4 20:19:32 UTC 2005

Ian Northeast <ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Rich Walker wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't know: I *still* haven't finished any of Nethack, Slashem or
>> the Angband variants, so I haven't needed a new game since about 1992...
>
> I've finished Nethack twice (without cheating). Does this mean I play it too much or just that I'm
> good at it? :)

There are people who complete Angband variants automagically, as far as
I can tell. Also, people who complete Nethack *without*
*fighting*. (That one *really* throws me).

My problem is I tend to get bored somewhere after the Quest in Nethack,
and around CLVL25-30 in the Angbands...

> A piece of trivia regarding Nethack: I pick my race and class, but leave gender to chance. The top 9
> entries in my score file are female. So is being female an advantage?

Depends on the frequency of 'cubi gender, ISTR.

> One point about all these games is that they're different every time
> you play. So even if you've finished them once you can still enjoy
> them. And they're free of course.

And you can always completely change them. Have a look at Steamband for
a good example of that :->

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml