[Gllug] Linux - big not small

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Thu Aug 4 15:35:51 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 04:39:39PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> I've seen database systems run without swap at all, on the basis that
> it was far better for the machine to crash, than for it to sit their
> swapping and processing queries excruciatingly slowly.

Well, not to mention the fact that DBs have a very predictable
memory utilization pattern - typically a pre-determined memory
size, so the fallback of swap isn't as neccessary as with a
general purpose compute, or desktop workload which has a very
unpredictable mem usage. Indeed for high performance Oracle
deployments one would typically lock the SGA into RAM, perhaps
backed by huge pages which are non-swappable.

Regards,
Dan.