[Gllug] New EU data retention rules approved

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Wed Dec 14 16:20:01 UTC 2005

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 04:35:30PM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> I don't think they really thought this one through ...

They never do. It doesn't seem to occur to politicians that they ought
to consult with technical people who actually deal with the specific
tech they're legislating, in order to base their legislation on
recommendations from people who actually know what's possible.

Yes, this legislation is laughably full of holes. But what worries me
far more is the attitude of saying "we want this. make it happen."
without apparently talking to the people who will be responsible for
implementation and verifying the logistical possiblity [or otherwise] of
their plans. Very disturbing.

Oh, and on a different note: when the UK removes too many civil
liberties and you've had enough, to where do you move?

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk