[Gllug] Ibm T20

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Mon Dec 19 11:30:29 UTC 2005

john gennard wrote:
> Many thanks to John Edwards, John Winters and Steve Nelson
> for the details they kindly provided yesterday. I've worked
> through these and am now reasonably comfortable in using
> the T20. It's turning out to be a much better bargain than
> I expected - I got online via a wireless network a neighbour
> allows me to use by just connecting a cable to my ethernet hub.
> Using my dialup I'll leave until I've get Debian installed.

<snip>
> I did manage to find the partitioning by using Knoppix (and
> this had a strange benefit - in XP the desktop has two small
> areas where the picture is thin and hazy, whilst in Knoppix
> not only do these not exist, but the picture is very clear
> and fresh). Steve, I'll be trying SystemRescueCd as I will now
> turn to getting Debian onboard.

as said in my message yesterday I've been using Debian (started with
Sarge and moved to unstable a few months back) on a T20 for sometime now
so if you need any advice - just drop me a line.

> One little thing, the CD - RW seems to make quite a noise and
> the tray needs some help in opening despite being brand new.
> Are these things normal? The drive does work fine though.

The drive bay used in the T20 is an Ultrabay 2000 - sometimes I've found
that unbranded or non-IBM drives can stick a little in these bays -
sometimes it's just the release mechanism. I've not found a solution to
it but I do find that if I get the OS to eject the CD it works every
time and sometimes the case button fails first time.
Mine came with an IBM drive but it's still quite noisy. I would that as
long as the noise is a typical whirr noise - just louder - you'll be okay.

regards
Ryan Cartwright
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk