[Gllug] Ibm T20

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Mon Dec 19 09:01:24 UTC 2005

Many thanks to John Edwards, John Winters and Steve Nelson
for the details they kindly provided yesterday. I've worked
through these and am now reasonably comfortable in using
the T20. It's turning out to be a much better bargain than
I expected - I got online via a wireless network a neighbour
allows me to use by just connecting a cable to my ethernet hub.
Using my dialup I'll leave until I've get Debian installed.

Steve, you asked how much I paid - it was £145 (I thought 'what
the hell, I used to spend more than that on booze at Christmas!').

John (Edwards), I will let you know should I wish to dispose of
it - but this may be some time as I've had an off list offer
of some bits and pieces for a T20.

The thinkwiki link will be a godsend, though there seemed to be
something wrong with the site yesterday.

I did manage to find the partitioning by using Knoppix (and
this had a strange benefit - in XP the desktop has two small
areas where the picture is thin and hazy, whilst in Knoppix
not only do these not exist, but the picture is very clear
and fresh). Steve, I'll be trying SystemRescueCd as I will now
turn to getting Debian onboard.

One little thing, the CD - RW seems to make quite a noise and
the tray needs some help in opening despite being brand new.
Are these things normal? The drive does work fine though.

Again, I'm most grateful to all of you.

Regards,					John.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk